Archive of Social Welfare of the C. F. M.

The archive of the Charitable Facilities of Mytilene contains 16 files in which important information is recorded regarding the activity of the Institution in the areas of health and social welfare.

The archive contains documents that have been produced in the frame of the operation of the institutions: Hotel or Hospital, Vostaneion Holy Hospital, “Saint George of Mytilene” Care Unit for the Elderly and the Chronically Suffering and Children’s Institution of Chronic Diseases.

C. F. M. And Welfare

The C. F. M. or “Hotel” or “Hospital”, since their foundation in the 17th century, had been offering a most important work in the areas of health and of welfare on the island of Lesvos. The multiple names refer to the same organization, since, during that time, institutions like this did not only offer accommodation, but also medical treatment.

From the extant accountancy books, we are informed that the Hospital contributed money for:

  • The maintenance of prisoners in prisons,
  • The repurchase and release of captives that arrived on the island, after the slaughter of Chios,
  • The collection and secret hospitalization of all those who fled to the island after the slaughter of Kydonia (Aivali),
  • The upbringing of orphans but also of abandoned children.

Specifically, with regards to the upbringing of orphans but also of abandoned children, the C. F. M. handed them over to nursing mothers, who raised them on payment until the children reached the age of 7-8 years old. Additionally, and with the care of the Governorship, they were handed over to foster families for their further upbringing on payment. The Governorship ensured that the children were adopted by families with which it would sign contracts. In these contracts there were clauses for the education, upbringing, provision of dowry and financial support, in the cases of children that finally did not stay in the family.

C. F. M. And Health

The Old Hospital (C. F. M.) was demolished and radically rebuilt in 1858 with the expenditures covered by Panagiotis Vournazelis. That was the time when the clinical care of the less fortunate patients was methodised. The New Hospital included a complete dispensary and kiln, had 42 beds as well as a pathological, surgical, obstetrical and ophthalmologic unit. In 1924 the Hospital had a capacity of 35 beds, had an outpatients’ unit, complete dispensary and impeccable surgical facilities with kilns that were located in designated rooms of the building. Moreover, special units of a microbiological and radiological laboratory were in operation. Apart from the main facilities, there were kitchens, washing rooms, cloak rooms, storage rooms, staff accommodation rooms etc.

The income of the Hospital came from contributions by citizens, donations by affluent men of Mytilene (Zafeiris Vournazos, Andreas Katsakoulis et al), incomes from managing the already existing assets of the C. F. M. and loans.

Vostaneion Holy Hospital

In 1935 the creation of a hospital was decided with the name “Vostaneion Holy Hospital”, as a token of recognition towards the benefactor Panagiotis Vostanis. The hospital was established on an area donated by the father P. Skamiatoudas, by P. Loukas and by P. Kapsimalis.

In 1960 the “Vostaneion Holy Hospital” was granted by the C. F. M. to the then Ministry of Social Welfare, providing that the title would remain, adding only the term “General”. Furthermore, it was appointed that the hospital would be managed by a Council of seven members. Three of its members would be selected by the Management Board of the C. F. M., one member would be selected by the -at the time in office- Minister from a list of ten doctors of the Medical Association of Mytilene, two members would be 4th grade civil servants, while in the whole procedure the -at the time in office- Eparch of Mytilene would be chairman.

In 1936 the opening of the new Hospital took place, which was maintained by the C. F. M. until 1962. Following that, due to onerous expenses, the hospital and a part of the fortune of the benefactor Georgios Vostanis was given to the state.

“Saint George of Mytilene” Care Unit for the Elderly

The first wing of the Nursing Home of Mytilene was established in 1938 by the Eparch of Mytilene Iakovos from Dyrrachion, with the C. F. M. covering all the expenses. The aim of the unit of the 34 beds was to nurse the poor and unable to work elderly of Mytilene.

In 1960 the second wing of the Nursing Home was established by the Eparch of Mytilene Iakovos from Sissanio and Siatista, Chairman of the M. B. of the C. F. M. The new wing with a capacity of 54 beds was completed in 1968, with the expenses covered by the C. F. M. Great benefactors, who contributed so that the two wings of the facility would be completed, were N. Mitrelias, O. Antoniadis, I. Michelis and N. Petropoulos.

In 1990 the third wing of the Nursing Home was established by the Eparch of Mytilene Iakovos Frantzis, Chairman of the M. B. of the C. F. M. The construction expenses were covered by the C. F. M. The new wing has a capacity of 26 beds, it is of luxurious built and it is a single building with the two existing wings. The capacity of the Nursing Home today is 114 beds, while, to all the inmates of the institution, is provided accommodation, food, medical and pharmaceutical care and psycho-social cover. Great benefactors of the third wing have been the Koutsogiannis Brothers, the Prefectoral Fund of the Prefecture of Lesvos and various other donors. A 6% percentage of the total income of the Nursing Home is maintained by donations from Greece and abroad.

Children’s Institution of Chronic Diseases.

The “Children’s Institution of Chronic Diseases”, which is also under the C. F. M., was in operation from 1967 until 1985. The Institution was built on the area where from 1914 until 1966 the “Refugees’ Hospital” was in operation, which was constructed in order to facilitate the refugees that fled to Mytilene after the persecutions of 1914.

The “Children’s Institution of Chronic Diseases” had 25 beds in total and offered medical care to indigent minors, who suffered by chronic and incurable illnesses. The building is now housing the Academic Experimental High School of Mytilene “Giannis and Aristeidis Delis”